At YCT, we are often asked how to become a Trustee.
The simplest answer is that there is no one way. The most important thing is to have the ambition to become one. This is a stage many young people never get to (which we are trying to change).
Through this website we hope to share a few tips.
There are many organisations which advertise Trustee opportunities, some of which are listed in the ‘Links’ section. It is important to think carefully about what you can offer. It will often be a lot more than you think. If you aren’t confident you can contact us and we will try to pick out where we think you could help. Next, decide what you are passionate about. There are charities which represent almost every interest and it is likely that there is one for you. Or it may be that the driving force for you is to get involved with something in the area in which you live. If you find that the charity you are interested in isn’t advertising for Trustees, there is nothing wrong with sending a speculative letter. At the very least they’ll be impressed and have you in mind in the future.
If you join our LinkedIn group you can introduce yourself, explain what you are looking for and ask for help.
Here are some articles featuring us which discuss the main things we deal with:
- http://brightone.org.uk - Trusteeship is a Fantastic Opportunity for Young People
- http://inspiringyoungpeople.com - Become A Young Trustee
- http://www.civilsociety.co.uk - Promoting The Idea of Young Trustees
- http://newphilanthropycapital.wordpress.com Getting Younger People Involved
- http://www.guardian.co.uk - The Benefits of Young Trustees
- http://www.guardian.co.uk - Trustee Recruitment Advice
- http://insidecharityworks.wordpress.com – 60 Seconds with Alex Swallow
- http://pimpmyprospects.wordpress.com – Ever Thought About Being A Trustee?
- http://trusteesweek.blogspot.co.uk - Alex Swallow’s Story
- http://www.thirdsector.co.uk - Only 2% of Trustees are aged 29-and-under
- http://www.london.gov.uk - Looking Back on Trustees’ Week
- http://newphilanthropycapital.wordpress.com – Getting Younger People Involved
- http://inspiringyoungpeople.com – A Day in the Life of Alex Swallow
- http://www.jcilondon.org.uk – Alex Swallow’s Story
- http://www.dare2lead.co.uk – Dare2Lead Guest Post
Live trustee opportunities:
There are a number of excellent organisations that promote trusteeship and offer Trustee opportunities, some of which are listed in the ‘Links’ section.
In this part of the website we will be sharing opportunities from them and also posting other Trustee opportunities here when we feel they are of particular interest or when we have been specially asked by the organisations in question.
If you are an organisation and would like to find some young trustees, please get in touch with us.